- What is your hourly rate?
- Will you charge me to meet with you so I can make an initial assessment as to whether or not I want to engage you to assist with my financial settlement and/or parenting orders?
- How long do you think this will take?
- How much do you think this will cost?
- What is your specialty: financial, parenting or both?
If they cannot give you straight answers to these questions, then you may want to look elsewhere for a family lawyer or decide if you even need one.
Remember if you need a lawyer, your partner will usually need one as well, and they should be asking the same questions to protect your combined wealth.